Budapest to Ptuj, Slovenia

Day 12– I rode south thru Hungary on my way to return the bike to Ljubljana in Slovenia. My stop for the night would be in Ptuj, Slovenia (a small, but very ancient,  town with a castle). 

Lake Balaton (48 miles long) provided for some amazingly beautiful views as my route took me down the North side.  This was a very relaxing ride and having started early from Budapest I was passing Balaton mid morning.


The following pictures are from the Internet






My GPS (as I was traveling in a rural area of Slovenia) told me to turn left in 300 meters. As there was only 3-4 buildings and one road to be seen (just on the left) I obeyed.  The good ol' GPS had gotten me to my Budapest hotel without any problems so I had great faith in the device.  I turned left as it said to do and then, in a few hundred yards, it said to turn left again. The first section was a very narrow blacktop and the next left was a gravel road going into a wooded section. I opted to ignore this left turn and continued a short distance when the road I was on became dirt! 


At this point, I decided to go back out to the main highway and check to see if I heard the first left command correct.  Yep, once again as I neared the buildings with the left turn the voice said in 300 yards turn left.  Of course it again told me to turn left on the gravel road. Against my better judgement I took it. In about 200 yards I could see a building and a paved road. Unfortunately, in the middle of this wooded area I found a "Croatian border crossing"!!!! They looked at my passport and told me I had to go back. So much for total reliance on a GPS.

At this point I assumed I had not heard the GPS correctly so I backtracked 5 miles or so to try again. Clearly at this point I could see on the GPS that I was on the marked route programmed by Adriatic.


Once again as I approached that "left" it said in 300 meters turn left and then turn left again! I didn't freak but the next thing to it. I've been lost so many times on my other trips that I knew it was time to start asking directions. I was on my way to PTUJ (Slovenia) and some people didn't know of this town - while others sort-of. . . a Slovenian cop gave me the best directions but all together I wasted about an hour and one-half before finding Ptuj.


Ptuj was a wonderful town. Of course this little town of 1700 did have a castle. It must be a requirement for old towns. Adriatic doesn't want to believe that the GPS was programmed wrong but I'm not convinced. Trying twice with the same results. . .
It turned out that everything about Ptuj was enchanting! The hotel I stayed in was built in 1518 and most of ring of hillside buildings appeared to be of similar vintage.
















Bottom pic is an Internet photos

Adventure Beginning

bobforsee@yahoo.com


In 1968 I read a story in Cycle World magazine about a fellow that rode from the U.S to the tip of South America and I was psyched to do the same. However, over 35 years passed and I hadn't taken that journey. So after retirement, I began to consider the possibilities.

For 12 years my wife and I put over 9,000 miles on our bicycles. We greatly enjoyed our two-wheeled activity, particularly the Katy Trail which covers over 200 miles across Missouri. However when it comes to adding a motor to the two wheels, I'm all alone. Brenda doesn't feel the same comfort on a motorcycle that she feels on her bike.

Beginning with that first Honda I bought in 1966 (only 160cc) I have always enjoyed the feeling of adventure that motorcycling gives you. In the 60's I traveled a number of times by motorcycle including two trips to the Rocky Mountains, once to New Orleans and once to Los Angeles.


In early November of 2006 after spending a year of planning and trying to digest a bit of Spanish, I joined Harold Brooks and we traveled through five Latin American countries totaling 4200 miles.


In 2008 I flew to Buenos Aires where I had arranged to rent a Honda Transalp and headed north through Argentina, Chile and Peru. The ride to see Machu Picchu in the Andes totaled over 5100 miles.


In 2013 I planned a ride from Jo' Burg, South Africa to Victoria Falls. The trip through Botswana, Zimbabwe and back to South Africa was wonderful. The Falls were amazing, but seeing elephants and other big game while traveling down the highway was a treat.


I got another bug to do another ride in 2015. Not so much an adventure, but none-the-less exciting. I joined nine other riders for a tour of Eastern Europe. Adriatic Moto Tours (of Slovenia) provided guides and bikes and our group traveled for eight days from Vienna to Prague and South to Salzburg and then back to Vienna. After that, I arranged to continue on with the bike and travel on my own. I rode into Hungary to Budapest, spent an additional day there, and then South past lake Balaton and returned the bike to the tour company in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This ride provided many amazing sights with the Alps and beautiful land of Austria and the Czech Republic being among the most memorable.


In 2018, I took on what may have been my final adventure. At age 74, I rented a small Honda motor bike in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and rode North to Hanoi. The 23 days of travel was everything I expected. Wonderful people and God-awful traffic. Truly an amazing ride.


PREPARATION

In preparing for each of my trips I found a great deal of information on Horizons Unlimited web site. This amazing site has journals, health info and active bulletin boards that allow for contact with other travelers. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com




About Me

My photo
Professional: Graphic design for Steven mfg., Art Director -MFA inc. and Missouri State Parks. Teaching: Stephens College, Columbia College, Virginia Commonwealth U. and Rolla Technical Institute.

Translate this site