Argentina return trip

Day 20 (Oct. 23)
Purmamarca to Salta, Argentina

The idea today was to get started early and contact Julio Rueda, an English speaking fellow in Salta. Julio is a good friend of people back in my home town of Columbia, Missouri. I wanted to get with Julio and find a recommended hotel before noon. Julio needed to be at work by that time. (Julio's family is pictured at left) Then came the headaches. First the fancy hotel in Purmamarca lost it's internet connection when I needed to check e-mail to get the hotel name and location in Salta. Lost 45 minutes.

Next I choose Ruta 9 which covered the last 50 miles into Salta and would avoid the super highway which would be about 85 miles or so. Well ruta 9 was the strangest highway I've ever seen. Great pavement, yes. About 1 1/2 lanes wide with no stripe. 10,000 hairpin curves with horses and cows on the roadway. Lost another 45-60 minutes.

Finally Salta. Home town to our Columbia friend Alicia Simon, Salta has the primary implements a thriving big city should have. Stop lights. With over a million people, Salta needs stop lights. I'm amazed that on this trip I've encountered so many towns without stop lights and some without any signage.

Julio led me to the hostel and after finding safe parking for the moto he introduced me to Alicia's sister Alejandra. Alejandra, who lives around the corner from my hostel, in advance of my arrival contacted her friend with the Salta newspaper about doing an article on me. Ah fame!

The area that my hostel is in has a comfortable feel with a nice mix of big and small buildings. For more info on Salta.

Ruta 9 was only a bit wider than
a single lane. Fortunately I shared
that space with horses and cows
and very few vehicles. If I hadn't
been in a hurry I might have
enjoyed the ride






Days- 21 & 22 (Oct. 24 & 25)
Salta

For a big city, Salta genuninely feels inviting. Alejandra took me for a very long walk last evening (although I was walked out from earlier in the day). She was so enthusiastic to show me the 1400's vintage church and other notable buildings. The main plaza was splendid with lots of people and wonderfully safe atmosphere.

The next day, Julio took me to a number of Salta's noteworthy sites. He also arranged to take me for an interview with Salta's newspaper for an article on my trip. My last day in Salta had a special treat when I met Julio's family and they took me to a special museum for the "three ninos" (the remains of three children found at the top of a high volcano). For anyone traveling to Argentina I would highly recommend visiting Salta.

Day- 23 (Oct. 27)
Salta to Termas de Rio Hondo

An easy 250 mile ride on a very hot day. I got a bit lost when going thru the huge city of San Miguel de Tucumen. Later I also had some problems navigating thru Santiago del Estero. Getting lost, I guess, is a part of an adventure.

Rio Honda is a spa-city that is situated on the banks of Río Dulce. A lot of visitors are attracted to this popular Argentine town. I rode around for probably 30 minutes before finding a hotel that was open. Most businesses here are closed for 2-3 hours in the early afternoon.

Many hotels and restaurants and lots of visitor/tourists. I really hate waiting until 8 or 9 to eat which is what they do here. With a lot of walking around I managed to find a restaurant that opened at 7:30! I looked over a dinner menu and chose Portuguese chicken. Lots of onion, tomato and boiled potatoes with the chicken. It was wonderful!

Day- 24 (Oct. 28)
Termas de Rio Hondo to La Para

La Para is a really clean little farming town complete with town square. The landscape reminds me of northern Missouri. Flat with fields of crops as far as you can see. It was long day and fairly hot but not so bad as yesterday. The quiet town square was similar to that of Bowling Green, Missouri that I remember from a few years ago. Very comfortable. I almost expect Opie Taylor and Barney Fief to walk down the sidewalk.

Day- 25 (Oct. 29)
La Para to Esperanza

Julio Rueda had suggested a good city to visit would be Esperanza and he was right. Very much like La Para only much bigger (I'm guessing maybe 30-35 thousand). It was amazing to see all ages on bikes and motorscooters. Sometimes three on a moto. Just cruising the town square. The town square (plaza) was the biggest I've ever seen. Equal to four city blocks. Huge trees and great walk ways with several sculptures and fully lit at night. Esperanza is in the middle of a great agricultural area. I could have spent more time there but it was so much like Missouri that I'm longing to get home.

Day- 26 (Oct. 30)
Esperanza to Pergamino

Pergamino is the last stop before Buenos Aires. This town is probably a bit larger than Columbia, Missouri (80-90,000) It was good getting here and settled in as this morning it rained rather hard before I left Esperanza. Lucky me as the dark clouds never actually opened up on me as I rode to Pergamino, and the sun finally came out.

I got lost twice in Santa Fe (a huge river city) and had to stop four people before I finally found the route toward Pergamino. I must have put on an extra 40 miles just finding the right highway out of this huge city.

The following images of Salta don't really give the full picture of the wonderful city.



























Adventure Beginning

bobforsee@yahoo.com


In 1968 I read a story in Cycle World magazine about a fellow that rode from the U.S to the tip of South America and I was psyched to do the same. However, over 35 years passed and I hadn't taken that journey. So after retirement, I began to consider the possibilities.

For 12 years my wife and I put over 9,000 miles on our bicycles. We greatly enjoyed our two-wheeled activity, particularly the Katy Trail which covers over 200 miles across Missouri. However when it comes to adding a motor to the two wheels, I'm all alone. Brenda doesn't feel the same comfort on a motorcycle that she feels on her bike.

Beginning with that first Honda I bought in 1966 (only 160cc) I have always enjoyed the feeling of adventure that motorcycling gives you. In the 60's I traveled a number of times by motorcycle including two trips to the Rocky Mountains, once to New Orleans and once to Los Angeles.


In early November of 2006 after spending a year of planning and trying to digest a bit of Spanish, I joined Harold Brooks and we traveled through five Latin American countries totaling 4200 miles.


In 2008 I flew to Buenos Aires where I had arranged to rent a Honda Transalp and headed north through Argentina, Chile and Peru. The ride to see Machu Picchu in the Andes totaled over 5100 miles.


In 2013 I planned a ride from Jo' Burg, South Africa to Victoria Falls. The trip through Botswana, Zimbabwe and back to South Africa was wonderful. The Falls were amazing, but seeing elephants and other big game while traveling down the highway was a treat.


I got another bug to do another ride in 2015. Not so much an adventure, but none-the-less exciting. I joined nine other riders for a tour of Eastern Europe. Adriatic Moto Tours (of Slovenia) provided guides and bikes and our group traveled for eight days from Vienna to Prague and South to Salzburg and then back to Vienna. After that, I arranged to continue on with the bike and travel on my own. I rode into Hungary to Budapest, spent an additional day there, and then South past lake Balaton and returned the bike to the tour company in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This ride provided many amazing sights with the Alps and beautiful land of Austria and the Czech Republic being among the most memorable.


In 2018, I took on what may have been my final adventure. At age 74, I rented a small Honda motor bike in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and rode North to Hanoi. The 23 days of travel was everything I expected. Wonderful people and God-awful traffic. Truly an amazing ride.


PREPARATION

In preparing for each of my trips I found a great deal of information on Horizons Unlimited web site. This amazing site has journals, health info and active bulletin boards that allow for contact with other travelers. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com




About Me

My photo
Professional: Graphic design for Steven mfg., Art Director -MFA inc. and Missouri State Parks. Teaching: Stephens College, Columbia College, Virginia Commonwealth U. and Rolla Technical Institute.

Translate this site