Lake Titicaca/return to Chile

Day 13 (Oct. 16)
Cusco to Puno (Lake Titicaca)

Sadly, I had to endure the grotesk city of Juliaca in order to get a short distance south to Puno. Just getting thru the horridly confusing and congested streets was exhausting. The Drivers were as bad as any I had found on the trip so far. Finally at Puno I've checked in at an inexpensive hotel for two days in order to take a tour to the "floating islands of the Uros". For more info on Titicaca

I'm still amazed at the difference between Peru and the other two countries I've crossed. Filling stations that only offer gas (no “super” only 84 octane) and many small towns that don't appear to have restaurants or stores. I can only imagine that they may have them but to the passer-by they are invisible. Unlike the large cities which capitalize on tourist, small towns apparently have a life of their own.

click on photos to enlarge












Day 14 (Oct. 17)
Lake Titicaca

The Presidente hotel (fancy name for 13.00 per night) offers tours and this morning I'm going to the floating islands. Although most people probably never heard of Lake Titicaca, It's history is quite interesting. The sheer size of it without rivers contributing and being 12,500 feet elevation is worthy of awe. For those of you that have been to Colorado's "trail ridge road", The altitudes are similar.

Some of the 44 floating islands are primarily tourist attractions. Islands not pictured and could be seen from a distance had tin roofs and some had solar panels. Fishing, which is a primary meaning of subsistence, is now aided by some use of motor boats.
The tour was not the best but was educational and actually walking on the reeds that compose the islands body (approx. 2 meters thick) was unlike anything else. For those unfamiliar with Titicaca, it is large enough that decades ago Peru commissioned full size freighters to be carted piece by piece overland to be assembled for commerce. During the tour boat ride out to the islands our boat began to have trouble and for a short time quit running. I had the thought that how could I be on a train that quit on the way to Aquas Caliente and then be on a boat that quits in the middle of Lake Titicaca. Hmmmmm.

Day 15 (Oct. 18)
Puno to Moquegua

I took a different route returning to Chile and rode for about 70 miles trailing Titicaca's shore. Quite magnificent. The next 180 miles froze my butt in the high Andes as I turned west toward Moquegua. I'd seen many, many alpacca and llama in recent days but today was a feast. Apparently this particular part of the Andes really support the critters and there were hundreds.

This day was very intense as I had filled up with gas early that morning stupidly believing that one of the towns showing on my map would surely have gas. Of course there was no gas in those towns and with 40/50 kilometers to go to reach the city of Moquegua, my gauge was on empty. I had passed only a few vehicles so when I saw a small SUV pulled over by the side of the road, I pulled up to it. I asked if the man had gas and he said no and pointed in the direction I was going. I was now seriously worried about at the prospect of being stuck in the Andes out of gas. I continued for a kilometer or two and saw what might be called a village with only three or four buildings (huts). There were three men standing near the road talking and as I neared them I passed a woman sitting by the road and close to one of the small houses. I asked the men if there was gas nearby and they pointed at the woman. Huh? I turned around and rode back about twenty yards to the lady. Yes, she had gas! She went into a very small shed beside the small house and returned with a bucket of gasoline. Wow, was I lucky!

After arriving in Moquegua I found the same hotel I had stayed at before. I heard festivities and went to see. It was the "mother of all kid's parades". Evidently Moquegua hosts a parade featuring elementary school kids in ethnic costumes from all over Peru. One group was from Lima a few hundred miles to the north. I don't know how many groups there were, but I'm guessing 20 cities with different grades participating. Unlike many towns that have dogs barking all night, it was firecrackers or gun shots in the early morning hours in Moquegua. And strange that both times staying here it was the same loud bangs to wake you up.

(below) 1. Puno city center. Hectic traffic and lots of tourists.
2&3. Views of Uros floating islands





































Adventure Beginning

bobforsee@yahoo.com


In 1968 I read a story in Cycle World magazine about a fellow that rode from the U.S to the tip of South America and I was psyched to do the same. However, over 35 years passed and I hadn't taken that journey. So after retirement, I began to consider the possibilities.

For 12 years my wife and I put over 9,000 miles on our bicycles. We greatly enjoyed our two-wheeled activity, particularly the Katy Trail which covers over 200 miles across Missouri. However when it comes to adding a motor to the two wheels, I'm all alone. Brenda doesn't feel the same comfort on a motorcycle that she feels on her bike.

Beginning with that first Honda I bought in 1966 (only 160cc) I have always enjoyed the feeling of adventure that motorcycling gives you. In the 60's I traveled a number of times by motorcycle including two trips to the Rocky Mountains, once to New Orleans and once to Los Angeles.


In early November of 2006 after spending a year of planning and trying to digest a bit of Spanish, I joined Harold Brooks and we traveled through five Latin American countries totaling 4200 miles.


In 2008 I flew to Buenos Aires where I had arranged to rent a Honda Transalp and headed north through Argentina, Chile and Peru. The ride to see Machu Picchu in the Andes totaled over 5100 miles.


In 2013 I planned a ride from Jo' Burg, South Africa to Victoria Falls. The trip through Botswana, Zimbabwe and back to South Africa was wonderful. The Falls were amazing, but seeing elephants and other big game while traveling down the highway was a treat.


I got another bug to do another ride in 2015. Not so much an adventure, but none-the-less exciting. I joined nine other riders for a tour of Eastern Europe. Adriatic Moto Tours (of Slovenia) provided guides and bikes and our group traveled for eight days from Vienna to Prague and South to Salzburg and then back to Vienna. After that, I arranged to continue on with the bike and travel on my own. I rode into Hungary to Budapest, spent an additional day there, and then South past lake Balaton and returned the bike to the tour company in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This ride provided many amazing sights with the Alps and beautiful land of Austria and the Czech Republic being among the most memorable.


In 2018, I took on what may have been my final adventure. At age 74, I rented a small Honda motor bike in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and rode North to Hanoi. The 23 days of travel was everything I expected. Wonderful people and God-awful traffic. Truly an amazing ride.


PREPARATION

In preparing for each of my trips I found a great deal of information on Horizons Unlimited web site. This amazing site has journals, health info and active bulletin boards that allow for contact with other travelers. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com




About Me

My photo
Professional: Graphic design for Steven mfg., Art Director -MFA inc. and Missouri State Parks. Teaching: Stephens College, Columbia College, Virginia Commonwealth U. and Rolla Technical Institute.

Translate this site