Mexico

Day 6
From: San Fernando To: Tuxpan, MX
Amazing "
topes" in every town and sometimes just out in nowhere.Topes are "speed bumps" on steroids. Single and in pairs and small groups. Every journal that I've read have commented (cursed) these things. Most are a simple concrete or asphalt strip across the highway and about 4-5 inches tall. Some are much taller. At small towns people sometimes stand in the middle of the road to sell stuff as vehicles slow to a stop when encountering these monsters. Some highways are super and for a good distance the pavement is great then bam. . . pothole city. I guess its like having one county keep up repairs and the next county not. Tomorrow we go past Veracruz and on to Minatitlan, a long day of over 375 miles. Note: Oaxaca was scratched from our schedule after reading about civil unrest and violence as we thought it was enough to risk our lives just riding.


Day 7
From: Tuxpan To: Minatitlan, MX
Sunday morning. Nice, cool, bright. Good highway and scenic.The day turned into another monster (by my calculations, that 4 out of 7 days so far qualify as monsters). Add tolls to the topes and terrible drivers and you've almost got it. Topes at small towns and topes in the middle of no-where. Roads being repaired and roads needing repair and you have us reaching Minatitalan at dark. The original plan was for about 250 miles per day average. Of course on good highways that could be more like today's 375. However we didn't adjust the schedule. Very bad. I think we've seen everything "but" ships burning off the shoulders of Orion.

We arrived as it was beginning to get dark and beginning to rain.
Minatitalan is an extremely large city with extremely fast drivers and bad streets. I felt like I had been dropped into a giant blending machine. Thank goodness Harold keeps his cool much better than I. Huge pot holes and "topes" everywhere in the city and we were trying desperately to find a hotel. We rode all around the huge city for more than an hour without spotting a hotel even thought we stopped several times to ask locals for help. I was so tired and "wired" that the hotel we finally found was a blessing Did I mention that earlier before reaching our destination, we rode approximately 125 miles on a toll road with no gas stations, no towns and only one exit (to God knows where). I've never ridden anywhere for that distance without a service exit. We are enjoying the Mexican food and I've been trying many things I can't pronounce. And and I haven't seen at restaurants back home. Every hotel so-far has had bottled water in the rooms. 

Day 8

From: Minatitlan To: San Christobal
Wow. Today made up for all the crap in the last several days. Although we found pot holes in the expensive toll roads and a few more
topes, it was a fantastic day. We began heading southeast which took us through mountains ever-bit as breathtaking as the Rockies. It was purely AWESOME. We arrived in San Christobal about 4:30 and located a small hotel in the downtown business district. By business I mean every kind. Across the street is a bank. next door a open air cafe. On one corner is a home that opens with a large door to what appears is a family room that doubles as a tiny cafe. Its really quite interesting. Unlike evenings thus far, we had the time and energy to walk about and see a few sites. Tomorrow we head for the Guatemalan border.










































1 & 2. Halloween parade with lots of kids having a great time.
3. Wonderful old church in San Fernando
4.The beach at Vera Cruz was worth stopping to take a picture.







Adventure Beginning

bobforsee@yahoo.com


In 1968 I read a story in Cycle World magazine about a fellow that rode from the U.S to the tip of South America and I was psyched to do the same. However, over 35 years passed and I hadn't taken that journey. So after retirement, I began to consider the possibilities.

For 12 years my wife and I put over 9,000 miles on our bicycles. We greatly enjoyed our two-wheeled activity, particularly the Katy Trail which covers over 200 miles across Missouri. However when it comes to adding a motor to the two wheels, I'm all alone. Brenda doesn't feel the same comfort on a motorcycle that she feels on her bike.

Beginning with that first Honda I bought in 1966 (only 160cc) I have always enjoyed the feeling of adventure that motorcycling gives you. In the 60's I traveled a number of times by motorcycle including two trips to the Rocky Mountains, once to New Orleans and once to Los Angeles.


In early November of 2006 after spending a year of planning and trying to digest a bit of Spanish, I joined Harold Brooks and we traveled through five Latin American countries totaling 4200 miles.


In 2008 I flew to Buenos Aires where I had arranged to rent a Honda Transalp and headed north through Argentina, Chile and Peru. The ride to see Machu Picchu in the Andes totaled over 5100 miles.


In 2013 I planned a ride from Jo' Burg, South Africa to Victoria Falls. The trip through Botswana, Zimbabwe and back to South Africa was wonderful. The Falls were amazing, but seeing elephants and other big game while traveling down the highway was a treat.


I got another bug to do another ride in 2015. Not so much an adventure, but none-the-less exciting. I joined nine other riders for a tour of Eastern Europe. Adriatic Moto Tours (of Slovenia) provided guides and bikes and our group traveled for eight days from Vienna to Prague and South to Salzburg and then back to Vienna. After that, I arranged to continue on with the bike and travel on my own. I rode into Hungary to Budapest, spent an additional day there, and then South past lake Balaton and returned the bike to the tour company in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This ride provided many amazing sights with the Alps and beautiful land of Austria and the Czech Republic being among the most memorable.


In 2018, I took on what may have been my final adventure. At age 74, I rented a small Honda motor bike in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and rode North to Hanoi. The 23 days of travel was everything I expected. Wonderful people and God-awful traffic. Truly an amazing ride.


PREPARATION

In preparing for each of my trips I found a great deal of information on Horizons Unlimited web site. This amazing site has journals, health info and active bulletin boards that allow for contact with other travelers. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com




About Me

My photo
Professional: Graphic design for Steven mfg., Art Director -MFA inc. and Missouri State Parks. Teaching: Stephens College, Columbia College, Virginia Commonwealth U. and Rolla Technical Institute.

Translate this site