Baobab to Kasane


Day 6 – May 26

Planet Baobab

On the way to my next destination I was in need of gas and pulled into a station where there were 10-12 vehicles crowded around the pumps. It turned out that the station had ben out of petrol and some of the customers had been waiting for over two hours until a tanker truck showed up.  Fortunately I only had about an hours wait.  The kids shown below were waiting with their day and were happy to take a seat on my bike.

 A three hour trek thru the Africa bush in 4-wheel drive vehicles took 14 of us tourist out into the Magdikgadi Pans.  The Pans are vast stretches of flat clay surface similar to a salt flat.  Where we camped out you could see nothing in any direction on the horizon.  A great bbq at dark was a treat but the sleeping under the stars in the mid 30 degree range was a bit much for an old guy that doesn’t sleep well in a regular bed. 



Kids are always drawn to a 
motorbike.  

I'd been very used to seeing cow 
crossing signs but in Botswana you also had bigger concerns!

































The red circle I've put on this picture of a Baobab tree shows where my
ball cap is hanging.  This should  give an idea of how big these 2000 year old trees are.



The campsite in the Madagadi Pans was just about ready for a bbq.

The Meerkats were wonderful and it was amazing how they have gotten used to people.















(above) Giraffe herd just off the road and a lone elephant standing in the shade of a tree.

Day 7 - May 27
Planet Baobab to Nata

Us hardly campers got up early in order to see the Meerkats that rise from their burrows when the sun’s warming begins. We drove out of the Pans and into another section of the Kalahari’s bush to find the little ones.  They were amazing.  Well worth the bumpy bush roads and cold (frigid?) temperature. 

Motorrad had over-nighted a replacement bike and I found it ready to go when we returned from out bush excursion. I Left Planet Baobab on the replacement BMW and headed a short distance to Nata, a small town where after a good nights rest (hopefully) I will head for Kasane, Botswana where Chobe National Park is one of e highlights of this trip.  Hopefully I’ll see lots of game.

Day 8 - May 28

Nata to Kasane (Kwalpe Safari Lodge)

Until this morning, I had seen many warning signs on the highway to watch out for animals.  However mostly cows and donkeys were common (except for the warthogs and baboon). Today was different.  Leaving Nata I rode a few Kilometers when there in the bush about 30 yards off the road were two more elephants!  Cool.  Later I saw a small herd of giraffes about 200 yards off the highway. I also saw what I believe were two Dik Dik’s which are like tiny deer about two feet high.

Tomorrow I expect to go on a morning game drive and and in the afternoon, a Chobe River cruisewhich should add hippos and crocs to the sightings


The Kwalpe Lodge (shown below) is rather primitive, with sleeping in tents (with electricity for a light and a fan) so the 80+ day timeheat will keep me in the bar for a while..
















Note the "St. Louis beer sign in the windows.  

Adventure Beginning

bobforsee@yahoo.com


In 1968 I read a story in Cycle World magazine about a fellow that rode from the U.S to the tip of South America and I was psyched to do the same. However, over 35 years passed and I hadn't taken that journey. So after retirement, I began to consider the possibilities.

For 12 years my wife and I put over 9,000 miles on our bicycles. We greatly enjoyed our two-wheeled activity, particularly the Katy Trail which covers over 200 miles across Missouri. However when it comes to adding a motor to the two wheels, I'm all alone. Brenda doesn't feel the same comfort on a motorcycle that she feels on her bike.

Beginning with that first Honda I bought in 1966 (only 160cc) I have always enjoyed the feeling of adventure that motorcycling gives you. In the 60's I traveled a number of times by motorcycle including two trips to the Rocky Mountains, once to New Orleans and once to Los Angeles.


In early November of 2006 after spending a year of planning and trying to digest a bit of Spanish, I joined Harold Brooks and we traveled through five Latin American countries totaling 4200 miles.


In 2008 I flew to Buenos Aires where I had arranged to rent a Honda Transalp and headed north through Argentina, Chile and Peru. The ride to see Machu Picchu in the Andes totaled over 5100 miles.


In 2013 I planned a ride from Jo' Burg, South Africa to Victoria Falls. The trip through Botswana, Zimbabwe and back to South Africa was wonderful. The Falls were amazing, but seeing elephants and other big game while traveling down the highway was a treat.


I got another bug to do another ride in 2015. Not so much an adventure, but none-the-less exciting. I joined nine other riders for a tour of Eastern Europe. Adriatic Moto Tours (of Slovenia) provided guides and bikes and our group traveled for eight days from Vienna to Prague and South to Salzburg and then back to Vienna. After that, I arranged to continue on with the bike and travel on my own. I rode into Hungary to Budapest, spent an additional day there, and then South past lake Balaton and returned the bike to the tour company in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This ride provided many amazing sights with the Alps and beautiful land of Austria and the Czech Republic being among the most memorable.


In 2018, I took on what may have been my final adventure. At age 74, I rented a small Honda motor bike in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and rode North to Hanoi. The 23 days of travel was everything I expected. Wonderful people and God-awful traffic. Truly an amazing ride.


PREPARATION

In preparing for each of my trips I found a great deal of information on Horizons Unlimited web site. This amazing site has journals, health info and active bulletin boards that allow for contact with other travelers. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com




About Me

My photo
Professional: Graphic design for Steven mfg., Art Director -MFA inc. and Missouri State Parks. Teaching: Stephens College, Columbia College, Virginia Commonwealth U. and Rolla Technical Institute.

Translate this site