Preparation for the Dark Continent


click to enlarge map

A Taste of Africa
Although the Africa trip in many ways required the same preparation as my other two adventures, it had been over four years and I needed a lot of refreshment in covering the necessary bases. Starting the planning six months before departure seemed like ample time. However I discovered that a couple of key sites were already booked. This was not a factor in the other journeys. 

 I found a source for motorbike rental in Johannesburg and narrowed down my time frame to May 22 through June 7. Knowing where the bike would be picked up, I charted a rough itinerary which would take me north through South Africa, into Botswana then East to Victoria Falls. From there I would return South through Zimbabwe and back into South Africa toward the Drakensburg mountains and finally to Johannesburg for the flight home. 15 days and lots of amazing sights should be in store with this plan. Chobe National Park was full up for this time of year and the chances were slim in getting a game drive and accommodations at the Makgadagadi Pans in Botswana as well to say nothing of lodging at Vic Falls.


So to start with, I seem to need help. Fortunately, the company that was providing the moto also helps organize tours. I was offered assistance in planning and booking the middle part of my trip which would get me accomodations and activities that tour companies are privy to. This would leave me to plan the initial three days and the last five days of my trip.  


The basics
Routes: Using Google maps, I made large prints of the key routes and cities that I would be traveling thru. (note: riding on the LEFT side of the road. . . Oh boy!)

Information: The Internet provides a lot of details on even the remote places on the globe. Political, geographical, and social information to enhance the journey. Besides important facts and key points that a visitor would need to know, there is an abundance of trivia such as: There are about 180,000 elephants in Botswana!

Language: Unlike my trips thru Latin America, it should be relatively easy to find English speakers in Africa. There are multiple languages spoken but apparently English is second or third most common.

Currency: Dollars were commonly preferred in the countries that I visited. This was much easier than other travels. Also I obtained a AAA travel debit card as they offer members the best deal on having the protection of VISA Cirrus which is considered the best card for ATM’s.  

Health: Yep, again I needed antimalarials. In checking my international health card (required in some places) I find that all of my 2006 vaccinations are still good but I needed a “booster” for Typhoid. I also got a script for Malarone (antimalarial). I got emergency medical insurance and trip insurance from AAA which is also required by some places as is an International Drivers License (which I already have)

How much and what to take: Packing a bike is something of an art. Longer trips require more creativity. Especially if you are flying to your start point. This year I have added "C-Pap" to my health needs, adding it to the otherwise over-packed suitcases. I began early practice filling and emptying bags to see whats possible. 

Paperwork: Besides drivers license, medical papers, maps, emergency contacts at home and in S.A, Passport, copies of everything, I be given upon leaving Jo’burg, papers for the bike and for crossing borders.

Now let's see. . . what did I forget?

Adventure Beginning

bobforsee@yahoo.com


In 1968 I read a story in Cycle World magazine about a fellow that rode from the U.S to the tip of South America and I was psyched to do the same. However, over 35 years passed and I hadn't taken that journey. So after retirement, I began to consider the possibilities.

For 12 years my wife and I put over 9,000 miles on our bicycles. We greatly enjoyed our two-wheeled activity, particularly the Katy Trail which covers over 200 miles across Missouri. However when it comes to adding a motor to the two wheels, I'm all alone. Brenda doesn't feel the same comfort on a motorcycle that she feels on her bike.

Beginning with that first Honda I bought in 1966 (only 160cc) I have always enjoyed the feeling of adventure that motorcycling gives you. In the 60's I traveled a number of times by motorcycle including two trips to the Rocky Mountains, once to New Orleans and once to Los Angeles.


In early November of 2006 after spending a year of planning and trying to digest a bit of Spanish, I joined Harold Brooks and we traveled through five Latin American countries totaling 4200 miles.


In 2008 I flew to Buenos Aires where I had arranged to rent a Honda Transalp and headed north through Argentina, Chile and Peru. The ride to see Machu Picchu in the Andes totaled over 5100 miles.


In 2013 I planned a ride from Jo' Burg, South Africa to Victoria Falls. The trip through Botswana, Zimbabwe and back to South Africa was wonderful. The Falls were amazing, but seeing elephants and other big game while traveling down the highway was a treat.


I got another bug to do another ride in 2015. Not so much an adventure, but none-the-less exciting. I joined nine other riders for a tour of Eastern Europe. Adriatic Moto Tours (of Slovenia) provided guides and bikes and our group traveled for eight days from Vienna to Prague and South to Salzburg and then back to Vienna. After that, I arranged to continue on with the bike and travel on my own. I rode into Hungary to Budapest, spent an additional day there, and then South past lake Balaton and returned the bike to the tour company in Ljubljana, Slovenia. This ride provided many amazing sights with the Alps and beautiful land of Austria and the Czech Republic being among the most memorable.


In 2018, I took on what may have been my final adventure. At age 74, I rented a small Honda motor bike in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and rode North to Hanoi. The 23 days of travel was everything I expected. Wonderful people and God-awful traffic. Truly an amazing ride.


PREPARATION

In preparing for each of my trips I found a great deal of information on Horizons Unlimited web site. This amazing site has journals, health info and active bulletin boards that allow for contact with other travelers. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com




About Me

My photo
Professional: Graphic design for Steven mfg., Art Director -MFA inc. and Missouri State Parks. Teaching: Stephens College, Columbia College, Virginia Commonwealth U. and Rolla Technical Institute.

Translate this site